Shin Anime Get!

Okay, in the past two days, I have been a pirate to the extreme (Yarrr.....) I have been downloading copious amounts of new anime. I have the first episodes of a bunch of new shows. So, without further ado!
Bottle Fairy - 12 minute episodes, ultra cute. It seems like these little superdeformed chibi fairies who live in these bottles are naive little kids, learning about Japanese culture and aimed at little kids to boot. Still, exceedingly cute and think I will follow it.
Gunslinger Girl - I have the first 2 eps but nothing else yet. I have yet to watch them, but the same designer who worked on Noir is back for this one. It is promising, but it looks kinda, uhm, REALLY dark. We'll see.
Maburaho - Imagine you are in a private school (high school in modern Japan) that specializes in teaching you how to use the magic in you. The catch is everyone can only use magic a certain amount of times, and then it's all used up. You turn into dust then, I hear. Some people, the powerful ones, in the school have around 10,000 to 14,000 uses. You, however, have 8. Yes, only eight, and you feel like a loser. Then, all of a sudden, you are told (after the girls know) that you come from a line of great magicians and your child has the potential to be an amazing wizard. Now all of the girls in the school, who, let's face it, it's anime, they are all made to be super-cute, all want your sperm. I'll leave it at that, but it looks wacky and funny and I will watch it.
Mahoujin Guru Guru - One of my favorites from years back. I had seen a few eps when I went to U of M's Con Jya Nai 3 years ago, and fell in love with it there. It is about a "Hero" who is 12, forced on the road by his parents (his dad desperately wanted to hbe a hero, but there was no great evil in his time), with Kukuri, the last remaining magician who uses the Guru Guru magic, and messes up most of the time. It spoofs the classic console RPGs. Characters are introduced with the classic Final Fantasy blue-box with white borders including info such as name, class, level, HP, and MP. Wacky Hijinks Ensue. Most definitely a follower. Mahoujin Guru Guru means Magic Cirlce Guru Guru (guru guru is te sound of swirly circles).
Mujin Wakusei Survive - I don't know all that much about this one yet, as I only have one episode. It takes place on colonies, since the earth is now uninhabitable, thanks to the poor environmental concerns of the people who lived there, thank you very much. It looks like the "School Field Trip" to a planet that is being terraformed is going to turn into their little Swiss Family Robinson meets Lord of the Flies, but no killing. Mujin Wakusei Survive means Uninhabited Planet Survive.
Peace Maker Kurogane - This anime rocks already and I only have the first episode. It takes place at the beginning of the Meiji Reformation (1860s) in Kyoto. If this sounds familiar to anyone, it is because you may have seen Rurouni Kenshin, and remember the Shinsengumi (The Order of the New Way) who were pretty much the Shogunate's personal police force. Saitou Hajime in Kenshin was in the Shinsengumi. In this show, however, there is a 15 year old trying to join because of what happened to his father. Of course, killed before his eyes by the enemy. The animation is clean, the fights were cool, and it still had the kinda funny parts. But, come on! How could I pass up the Shinsengumi?! Kurogane means Black Gold, or Iron.
Tenchi Muyo! OVA 3 Ryo-Oh-Ki - This is the long awaited third OVA series about Tenchi, which is, for once, NOT a new story! It picks up where the first series left off. I only have one episode so far, but it is up to the original standards, and is still very pretty. I am still getting used to the Japanese voices, since I had only seen it in English up until now, with the exception of the second and third movies. Good stuff.
Yami to Boushi to Hon no Tabibito - This is a wierd one. I haven't figured it out at all, especially how these women don't have horrible back problems. There is something about a girl searching for her sister, who is a being who can travel between worlds, and there is demons, and magic, kind of, and trains... Hell, see it for yourself. There is mucho fanservice. You were warned. Yami to Boushi to Hon no Tabibito means Travelers of Darkness with Hats and Books.
I have been busy, as you can tell, and I am trying to make room for it all by burning my other anime on to disc. I have Kokoro Library and Scrapped Princess almost all burned by now. Woo, let the CDs pile up!

0 comments:

Post a Comment