A Couple of Days Pass

And I am still killing myself over my JCMU application. All of the assurances from everyone that I will be going will not assuage my fears that I will not be allowed to return to Japan. Yeesh. I am planning what I would bring already! (I would need hot sauces, minimum two frisbees, need to get a digital camera, 2 pairs of pants, 2 pairs of shorts, and, hopefully, 2 kilts, for starters) Enough of my pity party. Last night, Jason, Justin and I went to a bar. We went to The Box Bar in Plymouth. Its biggest selling point was their beer selection. They had 650 beers available, 40 on draft. They weren't messing around. Their beer menu was in a binder and took ten pages. It was organized by country, then alphabetically! I enjoyed a Double Diamond Amber Ale, a Yebisu (favorite Japanese beer ever), Celebrator Doppelbock, and an Anchor Steam beer. I enjoyed them all. They were all varied types, and it made for a pleasant night of sampling. The burger and fries we got there were standard bar fare, not too great, but still okay. The thing that was absolutely abysmal though, was the service. Our waiter actually disappeared for a while, and in that time my beer disappeared. I wanted more. So I got sick of waiting and went to the bar for it. As I was walking back to the table, he came out of the back room and said, " Is there anything I can get you?" My only answer was, "You're too slow." He responded, "I was smoking." Now, if you have guests that you are trying to take care of, you make damn sure they are set before you go suck on a cancer stick or three for fifteen minutes. When I reached the end of that beer, I was still getting restless. All three of us were done, and no waiter to be found. Justin was just letting me up to go to the bar when he emerged from the back room. Just in time to keep me from going to the bar, but still too late. Half way through the third round, he comes up, drops the bill off and says, "Hey, can you guys cash out? I want to go home soon. You can still drink." Okay, rudest check drop ever in the history of my experiences. He got a three dollar tip on a $73 bill. I also left him a little note saying why he didn't get a real tip. I got the fourth round from the bartender, who paid attention to people. I also watched Lost in Translation, which I thought was a very well-filmed movie. I could identify with it on many levels. I have been the lonely, homesick person staring out the window over the town. I have been living in Japan where I am the only person I can talk to well. I know the strong bonds that form between people like that. I felt that movie, and I truly enjoyed it. Now, some people would say it was slow and boring, but I really enjoyed it. I've lived it before, but not with a female lead next to me. Tonight I went to work and was expecting a couple people to come in and visit. Drew and Nissa came up and made my evening. I got to see them for the first time in months! Thankfully we weren't busy when they came in so I could sit and chat with them a bit. Hopefully I will get to see them again soon. Honestly, I shouldn't be writing this now. I should be asleep because it is 2:00am and I have to be back at work at 9:00am for a silly meeting, then back to work for the night at 4:00. Oh well. I should go rest my weary head.

0 comments:

Post a Comment